Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sundance Day 6 - Bittersweet Ends

SATURDAY

This was the earliest wake-up day. I seriously felt like I was just floating in a fake world for the first few hours I was up. But, here's a sweet-ass picture of the sunrise.
-----------------------------------------------
MOVIE REVIEW #15 - Kinyarwanda
Kinyarwanda is a Crash-esque narrative about the Rwandan genocide. This is by far the best movie I've seen about Rwanda and one of the best of the festival. There's not really too much to say about it other than the fact that it's phenomenal and I honestly hope that everyone can hear this story. This movie needs to be seen.
My rating for Kinyarwanda - 5/5
-----------------------------------------------------

After Kinyarwanda I met up with some friends of the family for lunch. It was a good time. I also just had some time to walk around, listen to street performers, and read a bit.
I also snagged another pic of that Banksy piece just for variety's sake.
----------------------------------------------
MOVIE REVIEW #16 - Magic Trip
I thought this was just going to be a documentary about LSD, but it actual turned out to be a movie about Ken Kesey and his life during 1964 (which does involve copious amounts of LSD). I found Ken Kesey to be an extremely interesting person, but this documentary lacked focus. It was just far too broad. If they would have just focused on who Ken was more I would have loved it.
My rating for Magic Trip - 3/5


SHORT FILM REVIEW #3 - God Of Love
This film was just nominated for an academy award for Short Film (Live Action), and there's good reason for that. This is the most cleverly written and executed short film I have ever seen. It actually didn't screen at Sundance, it was a winner at the Angelus Film Festival and we watched it at the Windrider forum. We were fortunate enough to have the director there to talk to us about the film and answer questions. Super rad dude. I hope that I get to see him walking across the stage of the Kodak to receive an Oscar in a month.
My rating for God Of Love - 5/5


MOVIE REVIEW #17 - Like Crazy
I had really been wanting to see this movie, so I was stoked when it won the dramatic grand prize just so I actually had the chance to see it. First off, I love Anton Yelchin. Charlie Bartlett, Alpha Dog, Star Trek.... I just think he's super solid. Like Crazy is without a doubt his best performance to date. I think I can safely say that for both he and Felicity Jones this is the best movie of their careers so far. I loved this movie. Sure the main characters were immature and made some terrible choices, but the sheer humanity and relate-ability of their situation really hit home for me.
As far as the story goes, I'm a bit unsure that is deserved to win the Dramatic Grand Prize, but when I look at the performances by Yelchin and Jones there is simply no way this couldn't have won. So solid. What a great way to end the festival.
My rating for Like Crazy - 4.8/5
--------------------------------------------------

I took this picture of Drake Doremus (director - Like Crazy, Douchebag) at the Q&A. He's in pink.
Since the movie I've just done some snackin' and hot tub chillin'. perfect.

No comments: