Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sundance Day 5 - Free time? Yes please.

FRIDAY

I was supposed to go to 3 movies today, but I really didn't care to see 2 of them. I gave those tickets away and then waitlisted the movie The Lie. I'm pretty happy with that decision, it gave me some much needed free time to just take it easy. The past two days of only seeing like one hour of sunlight all day kinda wore me out.

---------------------------------------------------------
MOVIE REVIEW #13 - Being Elmo
Most definitely the best documentary I've seen at Sundance and one of the best I've ever seen in my life. I went in to this kinda thinking about how much I hate those goddamn tickle me Elmo toys and how this might be kind of annoying, but I had also heard a lot of good things about the film. The doc got me hooked right away and was amazingly interesting throughout. Kevin Clash's story is so inspiring and your heart grows just watching him on screen.
If this movie doesn't win either the Audience Choice or the Official Selection then there is something seriously wrong with this world. I laughed my ass off, I almost cried, and I was completely immersed in the story the entire time. Perfect pacing.
My rating for Being Elmo - 5/5


SHORT FILM REVIEW #2 - Excuse Me
This was so vulgar, but absolutely hilarious. This short showed me that you could spend a few hundred dollars and shoot the whole short in one room. The writing was really great even if the subject matter was crass. Clever concept and well executed.
My rating for Excuse Me - 4/5


MOVIE REVIEW #14 - The Lie
This was a really fun movie. There was a lot of comedy, but it also dealt with very human issues. What do you do when you're buried up to your neck in a lie? It was pretty innocent at first, but then it just grows until it's almost impossible to admit what you did in the first place. This film captured that so well and helped you connect with the characters.
This movie probably would have gotten a lower rating from me, but the Q&A with Director/Lead Actor Joshua Leonard (Higher Ground, Blair Witch Project) really helped me process the film and understand some of the decisions made by the characters.
My rating for The Lie - 4/5
------------------------------------------------------

Today was a good day. Since I only had 2 movies, I got a lot of time to relax and hang out with Jake. I also ate 3 full meals. That's a first for the week. Another thing that ruled was the fact that both the movies put me in a good mood. Feel-good movies are hard to come by at Sundance.

No comments: