Friday, January 28, 2011

Sundance Day 4 - Tired+Subtitles=Exhaustion

THURSDAY

Woke up to another beautiful day in Park City. We couldn't have asked for better weather this week. Someone should buy me a house here.
Today was a day of 4 movies back to back to back to back. Almost no gap in between.... and all of them were subtitled. I usually have no problem with subtitles, but 4 feature-length movies in a row of subtitles is so draining. that's enough complaining. on to the reviews.

-----------------------------------------------------------
The title of this documentary is confusing. It's not comedic in any way. General Butt Naked (Joshua) was a war general during the Liberian civil war and was responsible for claiming the lives of over 20,000 Liberians. This doc was about how he came to find Christ and how he is now a pastor and an advocate for peace. It explores the question of whether it is possible for a person who was so incredibly evil could actually be changed, or whether he was using the name of God for his own selfish gains. He makes money as a pastor and some people are forgiving him, so is this real or does he just need something as an excuse to have some sort of life now that the war is over?
The movie is incredibly challenging. I personally think that he did find the love of Christ, but there are still many things in his life that need reconciling. I also don't think that anyone is beyond God's grace, and you see the grace that God has extended toward Joshua. As one person says in the film, "I don't think anyone is 100% good. I would say Joshua is about 75% good and 25% evil." That sounds ridiculous, but there is definitely some truth to that.
My rating for The Redemption Of General Butt Naked - 4.2/5


MOVIE REVIEW #10 - Position Among The Stars (Stand van de Sterren)
This was a documentary about globalization in Indonesia. Well... kinda. There were some good scenes and cool cinematography, but it totally lacked focus. I thought it was about globalization, then about a family trying to get a kid into college, then about the tension between a husband and wife in lower-middle class Indonesia. It was pretty interesting, but nothing I would suggest or ever watch again.
My rating for Position Among The Stars - 2/5


MOVIE REVIEW #11 - AbraxasI call this movie "Punk Rock Monk". It's a narrative about a monk who used to play noise punk, but has been removed from that style of music every since he joined the temple. There was definitely some pacing issues with this movie, but overall I really liked it. I'm fascinated by Buddhism and the final concert is definitely kick-ass. The movie was serious and slightly comical. I enjoyed it.
My rating for Abraxas - 3.5/5


MOVIE REVIEW #12 - The Bengali Detective
Bengali Detective is documentary about a private detective in India who has a deep commitment to his work and his family, but also likes to spend free time doing some therapeutic boy-band style dancing. The doc has some hilarious parts in it, but it also has deeply serious stuff too. There are times you're crying from laughing and wanting to cry for real.
This documentary is shot like no other doc I have ever seen. The cinematography is impecable and done with only a 3-person crew! holy shit. that's unbelievable. There were a couple pacing issues I had with the movie, but I think this an amazingly unique story and style. I enjoyed it a lot.
My rating for The Bengali Detective - 4/5
-----------------------------------------------------

What a ridiculous day. So much to process with no time to process it. Here's a crappy picture of me in front of one of those cool backdrop things.
and here's how I feel:

No comments: