Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Sundance Day 2 - Bigfoot and Homework

TUESDAY

I think this is an accurate description of how the day started:
After our morning class where we watched a really great short called "Between The Shadows," we set off to Main Street to do a little sightseeing before our first film at 3pm. We ate lunch at Main St. Deli and then I went and got a picture of the iconic Egyptian Theater:
Still with nothing to do, a couple of other people and I walked all the way to the bottom of hill where I proceeded to take this picture:
I think that one is a really good representation of what Main Street Park City is like. One big hill with a lot of cool places.

------------------------------------------------
MOVIE REVIEW #3 - Homework
I read a review from Sundance that said this movie was kind of a bore after seeing "Like Crazy." Well y'know what? I didn't see Like Crazy, and I thought Homework kicked all sorts of ass. I'll admit that I'm a sucker for teen angst romantic comedies, and Homework was exactly that. Freddie Highmore did a great job playing a fatalistic high-schooler, and the rest of the movie kind of just fell in place around him. He was it. He was the reason I kept watching and the movie never lost its focus.
Homework was bought by Fox Searchlight. I really hope that it gets major distribution and shows up in a theater in Indiana so I can go see it again. Also, the soundtrack was phenomenal. Flaming Lips and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah are just a few I can remember off the top of my head.
My rating for Homework: 4.5/5
--------------------------------------------------------

After Homework was over I booked it out of the theater as fast I could to go see Guster play at the ASCAP Music Cafe. I got there just as they were starting the fourth song of their set and I got to see them play about 6 more. They played incredibly well and the venue was really intimate. I don't think I would have ever normally gotten the chance to see them in that small of a room. Probably the highlight of my day.
---------------------------------------------
MOVIE REVIEW #4 - Letters From The Big Man
This was definitely a WTF? movie. I seriously have no idea.... but then again I think I have too much of an idea. I thought that this was going to be a kinda crazy, kinda goofy, kinda dramatic movie about a lady who meets Sasquatch. Well, a lady does meet Sasquatch, but other than that I'm pretty sure that absolutely nothing else happens in this movie. It's just not very good. They have great locations and kick-ass Sasquatch costume, but other than that it's just boring and unmoving.
I commented above that I had too much of an idea what was going on; what I meant by that was that I feel that all the themes in the movie are just rattled off. People just outright say them. I kept waiting and waiting for the movie to take some kind of a turn and get really cool, but it just never happened. Definitely a disappointment, but at the same time I'm still glad I saw it because that Sasquatch was pretty cool lookin'.
My rating for Letters From The Big Man - 1.5/5
----------------------------------------------------------------

After I got out of the bigfoot movie I found some Banksy art in an alley. I was giddy.

No comments: